Small Simmons posted an update 2 months, 3 weeks ago
It’s no secret that our society and the media have established and proceed to promote an idyllic, almost inconceivable, normal of beauty that girls constantly choose themselves in opposition to and are always aspiring to realize.
With the appearance of readily accessible cosmetic surgical procedure and remedies, this quest has reached a brand new fever pitch. By one estimate, American women spend nearly $7 billion dollars a year on products used in the pursuit of beauty.
And we have all seen or heard stories of women addicted to Botox or plastic surgical procedure -some have had so many nips and tucks that their faces resemble cartoon characters and nonetheless they need more! These excessive instances are the casualties of a preferred tradition that’s saturated with photos of airbrushed, over sexualized, and perfectly coiffed celebrities and fashions that could make even probably the most confident of us feel a bit insecure or inadequate at occasions.
The extent of this drawback was documented in a 2008 report launched by the YWCA known as "Beauty At Any Price". The report underscores the substantial health implications for women on the countless treadmill of "unrealistic beauty attainment." By way of chronic and unhealthy dieting, utilizing smoking as a weight-loss aide, taking pointless dangers during cosmetic surgical procedures, and absorbing unsafe chemicals through cosmetics, women are inserting themselves in precarious health conditions to maintain some semblance of their idealized physical selves. Ladies and ladies are at risk for lifelong health issues – and the issues begin at an early age.
Add to the combination a $50 billion a year unregulated cosmetics business that puts limitless quantities of chemicals into personal care merchandise with no required testing or monitoring of well being results, ready to revenue from these slender beauty requirements to transform women and girls into life-lengthy clients. Many of those companies go to nice lengths to market to teens and "tweens" (8 to 12 year olds) as a part of this purpose. Their emphasis is on creating low-cost merchandise that attraction to this demographic with little or no regard for the potential health or environmental influence of the chemicals used to provide them.
Clearly, young ladies and teens are more weak and inclined to hurt than ever earlier than. However, with a little bit steerage they’ll study to make safer, healthier selections for themselves and set an instance for his or her friends.
What can you do to help the younger ladies and teenagers you understand avoid falling into this lure? Listed here are some pointers that you can use:
1. The Buck Starts and Stops with YouMost children are influenced by the behaviors and attitudes of their parents and caretakers. So it is as much as you to set the bar for what’s acceptable. If you’d like your daughters, nieces, or younger sisters to undertake healthy habits then be certain you might be doing the same. Check out your stock of cosmetics and private care products and eliminate those that comprise substances which can be identified to be dangerous. If you are undecided where to start, test the Environmental Working Group’s Pores and skin Deep Cosmetics Safety Database accessible online.
Their complete database incorporates over 25,000 cosmetics and skin care merchandise from both main corporations and smaller ones it’s possible you’ll not even know. The merchandise have all been researched, catalogued, and ranked for safety issues primarily based on currently accessible knowledge on toxicity of their elements. The database also provides lists of the highest 10 Worst and Greatest Products and firms primarily based on their scores.
Present them how to use the database and make it clear that you will not fund the acquisition of merchandise which were ranked with high security issues.
2. Flip Them Into Sensible ConsumersShare your considerations with them concerning the safety of many beauty merchandise in the marketplace and how even small amounts of repeated exposure to certain substances can cause harm. Educate them find out how to learn product labels and look for problem substances to keep away from.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires components to be listed in descending order of focus. So elements listed at the highest are essentially the most prevalent and those to pay more attention to.
Teenagers Turning Green (previously Teens for Safe Cosmetics) has compiled a list of chemicals in private care merchandise to keep away from referred to as the Dirty Thirty. You possibly can obtain it at their site. Evaluate Highlighting Guidelines Glow , then use it as a guide for reading labels and ruling out the merchandise that contain them.
3. Encourage Them to Take MotionThere’s nothing more highly effective than youngsters and teenagers united and engaged in action to promote a worthy trigger, and what could possibly be a worthier cause than their well being and safety? Encourage them to be taught more about this problem and the way they will get involved to make a distinction.
Whether it’s action to strain the government to regulate cosmetics, or collaborating in client boycotts that power corporations to change in response to tendencies within the market, or becoming a member of teams that educate and promote vanity and healthy physique pictures — all of those actions serve to enlighten them and reinforce the positive messages that will in the end lead them to make better selections and affect their friends to do the same.
4. Flip Them On To Greener Options and Make it Enjoyable
Throw a spa party at your property for your daughters and their pals and introduce them to the ever-growing number of safe and healthy pores and skin care products, pure scents, and cosmetics available, and make it "cool" for them to discover and indulge their senses. Make it a recurring event in order that they’ve a chance to be always exposed to too much of latest and totally different products.
Or take them to the local well being meals store for a buying spree the place you’ll be able to evaluate and evaluate the products together and make it a contest to see who picks the perfect ones first. Remember, simply because a product is sold in a health food or pure product retailer, it doesn’t mean that product is safe or natural. It can be a superb instructing second to assist them (and also you) grow to be a truly discerning shopper.
5. Reward Them for Making Good DecisionsFocus your efforts on helping them make the very best selections and then reward them for it. Guantee that the rewards you give them are in step with what you are attempting to show them. In other phrases, don’t reward good selections in a single area with dangerous choices in another (i.e. taking them out for junk meals or offering them sweet).
In the event you achieve convincing them that private care merchandise made with organic elements are better, there’s a superb likelihood you can convince them that organic foods and foods made with out chemicals and additives are also higher for them!
Need To make use of This text IN YOUR EZINE OR Net SITE? You may, so long as you embody this complete blurb with it: Donya Fahmy, is a green business proprietor and the creator of Dropwise Necessities’ spa-quality aromatherapy body merchandise that allow you to safely relieve stress, improve vitality, improve confidence, or just manage your emotional state any time or place with out popping a pill. For extra free ideas and worthwhile info go to http://www.Dropwise.com and subscribe to the Dropwise Health & Beauty Information Ezine or blog feed.