I completely agree @NewsNinja2012! Our government officials work for us! And its time they recognize that!
I am tired of being told what to do, how to do it, where to go and given a fabricated reason of why it needs to get done. Congress, the people we put in office, doesn’t listen to us tell them what we want. They need a reckoning. How do we do this?
Amen! We MUST hold them accountable! We are tired of too many broken promises. Far too often during campaign time, we’re all told one thing and once elected, we see the complete opposite. The problem with this is that many people forget or they can’t get out of their own way to disagree with who “they” voted for.
I have to admit that I have been politically ignorant in the past. Am beginning to wonder if our vote counts at all sometimes. How do these people make it into office other than rigged elections or not taking into account what the public is telling them. Have lost my faith in government lately…
The best way to get a handle on this is to be an active and informed voter. If your representatives don’t stand for what you believe, you must do everything in your power to vote them out. It doesn’t matter if they seem to be ‘good guys’ if they are not representing you, they need to be replaced. They will never vote for term limits, so you have to do that at the ballot box. But don’t wait for election years, you must be actively watching and speaking up at all times. We the people have done this by becoming lazy about who we select to represent us. JMHO.
I agree that we need to be active and involved, and most of all, informed. That’s why a platform like Volkalize is so valuable. We can have heated, yet respectful debate on the issues. The only way to make our voice heard is at the ballot box. But we can also be very influential via social media.
I have a few ideas on how we can get them to understand that they work for us.
1) We have used the two party system forever and we get the same self serving liberal Democrat or the conservative Republican who have, in the past used their position to self serve and push their own agendas. They don’t push the things we need and we want, just their little narrow view points. Maybe not this election, because we need to remove the current party that is in control, so we need a united front, but once we have achieved that we need to start getting behind a qualified Libertarian or an Independent and get someone other than a Democrat or Republican in office.
2) If any elected official tries to attack, diminish, or try to alter Our Constitution they will be removed from office and tried for treason.
3) No more Senators or Representatives making a life time career of their office, two terms and their out. This will eliminate cronyism and a lot of the corruption that is rampant in our government.
4) If any of the state level politicians seem to be consistently going against what the people of their state want, then the people should have the ability, through ballot, to have that politician removed from office and an appropriate replacement, who could be named prior to the election for each person running for office, take over until the next election.
5) We the people need to stay involved, we need to teach our children how important it is to stay involved so we never end up in the situation we are now.
These are just a few of the things we could do to send a loud and clear message to those we elect, that they work for us, not the other way around.
Agree about being informed voters, AND using social media. If we on Volkalize could each recruit 10 people to enter into these discussions, and especially if the ill-informed could ask questions without being embarrassed, maybe we could make a dent. But now’s the time. We can’t wait until another election is upon us. Spread the word.
I have been thinking about this a good bit, but no good answers. It seems to me that a good number of the current congressional office holders have demonstrated that they are not going to listen to reason.
But they keep getting elected by citizens in their districts.
I think the harder answer is we are going to have to do a better job of communicating reality to lower information voters. Or at least make them look up from their smart phones occasionally and deal with reality.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.